Los Angeles-bred Carlos Niño is the revered producer, composer, percussionist, DJ, ensemble orchestrator and mentor who has traversed the multitude of music scenes the city has birthed within the last two decades. Host of the influential Spaceways Radio(1995-2015) on KPFK LA, co-founder of key web radio portal Dublab and producer of epic chamber music tribute to Jay Dilla Suite For Ma Duke, Carlos’s curational activities run in complete parallel to his original compositions and collaborations. “This is Space Collage Hybrid music!”
1: I am the Father of an 18 year old human named Azul Niño.
2: I live in Woodland Hills, California.
3: I am one of the founders of Dublab.
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
Music itself is my biggest inspiration! Music is Life, so Life itself is also my biggest inspiration!
2. How and when did you get into making music?
I started making Music in 10th grade, around 1993. Pause Tapes, little cassette Mixes and then beats with Fabian Ammon on an ASR10, a 3 Track Mixer, and whatever I could get my hand s on. From there I evolved and expand ed . . . (Still friends with Fabian!)
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
1. A Love Supreme by John Coltrane
2. Tauhid by Pharoah Sand ers
3. Hikima by Yusef Lateef
4. Inter-Dimensional Music through Iasos
5. Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest
There are many, many more!
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
I associate Berlin with the great Hans-Joachim Roedelius and good, clean Vegan cuisine like what they serve at The Bowl.
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
Definitely my Home! I’m very Home oriented. Outside of Home is the Pacific Ocean and it’s Beaches.
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
I would devote my Life to connecting with Nature and to a Romantic Love Relationship.
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
I have purchased many downloads recently, but the last physical release that I bought was the Hans-Joachim Roedelius CD Pink, Blue & Amber. He and his wife are currently on Tour in California . . .
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
Laraaji. It’s time for us to record some Music together!
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
Two come to mind: Innov Gnawa at Wand erlust Hollywood and Spank with Aliyah Niamb and Larry Lambert at The Del Monte Speakeasy, both from earlier this year.
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
Technology is important, but not for my creative process. Everything is technology, so in a way I am interacting with it at all times. I don’t use the newest latest anything, unless I need to upgrade for some reason . . .
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
I have a Sister named Claudia. She’s mildly proud of and interested in what I do. maybe a 5.5 out of 10. My Brother Bruce is very into what I do and will be flying out to join us in Berlin! He was with us in Berlin last year too! Sweet!