Celso Piña is a notable mexican singer, composer and accordionist. He’s an accordion player and singer who has risen to be one of the most notable figures in cumbia music. Cumbia has it’s origins in Colombia’s African and indigenous populations, but it has spread to be one of the most universal Latin American genres. Celso Piña is a pioneer in mixing or blending sounds of tropical base, combined with all kind of popular genres from norteño to sonidero, Ska, Reggae, Rap, Hip Hop or R&B, just to mention some. For this reason he’s considered one of the best musicians from Mexico and Latin America.
1: Celso Piña´s nickname is “El Rebelde del Acordeón” (The Accordion Rebel)
2: Celso Piña world tour have more than 25 countries
3: Celso Piña love animals especially dogs.
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
Everything the tree , the river, the countries I´ve been, and the people I´ve met. Inspiration comes in strange ways.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
Since very little, I started with bass, guitar, then Dad got me a 1 line accordion, I played over LP´s, done some covers with my brothers and friends. Then I started doing songs of my own.
3. What are 5 of your favourite *artists* of all time?
Jorge Negrete, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Andres Landero, José José.
4. What do you associate with Berlin? The Wall, Liberty, Self
5. What's your favourite place in your town?
I have a Ranch in Allende N.L back in Mexico named “Macondo”. I got my dogs (10), horses, ponies and some other creatures. I love to spend time there.
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
Veterinary, I love animals, their innocence, loyalty and wisdom.
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
A Spanish baritone singer called Marcos Redondo.
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
With some Colombian artists. I'd love to make a record there.
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
Foreingner Auditorio Nacional México
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
Very important , Since I got and idea I record it to my audio notes to the cellphone or tablet. We use protools in the studio and some midi instruments.I like to record to analog tape sometimes.
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
Yes a lot. Hahahaha I play with 4 of them in the band, sometimes they look at me like I´m crazy , but we love each other , I´m very proud of them.