Farahnaz Hatam was born and raised in Tehran, Iran. She is a an experimental musician working with SuperCollider sound synthesis programming environment and also modular synthesisers. She is interested in sound as sculptural material and as a medium in which ideas are communicated.
She lives and works in Berlin where she co-founded N.K., Berlin’s legendary space for the avant-garde and non-mainstream culture. Hatam works currently as a musical director for theater; performs solo, in the Hatam / Hacklander duo, and occasionally as a specialist DJ. Her upcoming project LABOUR will debut this summer at Berlin Atonal.
1: Did you hear the one about Hegel and negation?
2: “truth and meaning are not the same” Hannah Arendt
3: The “sublime” object dissolves in the raptures of a bottomless memory “ Julia Kristeva
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
2. How and when did you get into making music?
Through visual art
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Florian Hecker Sun Pandämonium
Pita Get Out
Marcus Schmickler Palace of Marvels [Queered Pitch]
Iannis Xenakis Les Percussions De Strasbourg
Jessika Kenney & Eyvind Kang Aestuarium
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Squats, anticapitalist sentiments, empty lots, Freedom, underground art, industrial & Techno music, hedonism,
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
My studio at home
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
Romeo Castellucci, Abbas Kiarostami
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
Museum Kesselhaus Hacklander \ Hatam
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?