Frank Bretschneider is a musician, composer and video artist in Berlin. His work is known for precise sound placement, complex, interwoven rhythm structures and its minimal, flowing approach. Bretschneider’s subtle and detailed music is echoed by his visuals: perfect translated realizations of the qualities found in music within visual phenomena. He is releasing his music and performing at music/new media festivals worldwide. Frank Bretschneider will appear at A L‘ARME Festival 2017 on 2th August at Berghain & 5th August at Radialsystem in Berlin: Tickets
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
the sounds and noises, moods and environments I’m surrounded
2. How and when did you get into making music?
grabbed my sisters acoustic guitar, replacing the nylon- with steel strings and mounting a pickup, recording it to tape machines and altering the sound by changing speed, cutting and splicing tapes, making cassette tapes to distribute it...
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
too many to limit them to only five
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
a certain kind of openness, freedom, independence, anonymity
5. What's your favourite place in your town?
my studio space
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
Aretha Franklin, Bo Diddley
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
no idea, have already to struggle with myself
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
as a spectator: Pan Sonic (Dresden, Starclub, 1997)
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
its a tool, sometimes inspiring, sometimes just a burden
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
a sister, she does not care