Marc Sinan is a Berlin based composer and guitarist with a German-Turkish-Armenian background. As the artistic director of the Marc Sinan Company he assembles musicians, composers and other artists for project based collaborations in different constellations. Close artistic partners are composer Helmut Oehring and Oğus Büyükberber, The Dresdner Sinfoniker and the No Border Orchestra. In 2018 the Marc Sinan Company released its third record on the label ECM.
1: „What a terrible mistake to let go of something wonderful for something real.“ ― Miranda July
2: During his first 500 days in office, Donald Trump has told 4500 lies.
3: Free Demirtaş, free Osman Kavala!
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
2. How and when did you get into making music?
I started playing the recorder every Sunday at church when I was six: traumatic performance practice.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Impossible to answer, I am a very compulsive listener, but this week:
Andrew Cyrille – Declaration of Musical Independence
Terry Riley – A Rainbow in Curved Air, Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band
The National – Sleep Well Beast
Necdet Yaşar & Niyazi Sayın
Luigi Nono – Quando stanno morendo / Neue Vocalsolisten
Marc Sinan & Oguz Büyükberber – White
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Love living here!
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
The roof of my new studio right next to the Spree in Oberschöneweide.
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
Boa Tarde – Julien Desprez & Luis Lopes
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
I love performing with my duo partner Oguz Büyükberber. And I love to perform with my band of extraordinary musicians with big hearts!
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
Endless wonderful experiences – a recent one has been: performing with my dear friend Iva Bittova at the Momasar Festival in India: 10.000 people in the audience, mostly rural inhabitants of the Shekawati region north of Jaipur. Open air, of course!
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
I use it all!
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
My sister, who passed away a long time ago, has probably been the main reasons, why I have become a musician. She did love listening to me play the guitar.
Catch Marc Sinan premiering Oscar Bianchi’s „Circled Existence“ along the Neue Vocalsolisten on Friday, 7th December 2018 at Dreams of Electric Sheep at Radialsystem!
Photo © Angela Järmann