Massimo Pupillo is a musician, composer, and improviser, originally from Rome, Italy. After a lot of trials and errors , started the trio ZU in 1997. Zu released some 15 albums ( and lots of singles and compilations) on international labels like House Of Mythology, Ipecac Recordings, Atavistic , Red Note, Amanita, Frenetic, etc. Massimo released more than 50 albums in variuos line ups and collaborations, and played more than 2000 concerts all over the world, in different contexts like rock, jazz, classical and contemporary music festivals, theatre performance. With Zu he collaborated live and in studio with some of the best musicians of the rock & avantgarde scene , like Mike Patton, The Melvins, David Tibet, Nobukazu Takemura, Damo Suzuki, Dalek , Mats Gustafsson, Peter Brotzmann, Ken Vandermark, etc. Zu has toured with bands as Faith No More, The Melvins, Fantomas, The Ex, Lightning Bolt, Ruins, Dalek, Nomeansno, The Thing, etc… ZU also soundtracked live a piece for Romeo Castellucci’s Societas Raffaello Sanzio and their music has been used in motion pictures… Massimo Pupillo will appear at A L‘ARME Festival 2017 on 4th August at Radialsystem in Berlin: Tickets
1: Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil
2: We are all going to die
3: Musick cures you of time
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
The First Noble Truth
2. How and when did you get into making music?
At 3 years old when an older cousin played to me pink floyd’s atom heart mother and explained it as a fairy tale
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Arvo Part- Tabula Rasa
JS Bach – St Mattheaus Passion
Coil – Horse Rotorvator
John Coltrane – A Love Supreme
Le Mystere De Voix Bulgares
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
It used to be Gallina bar. It was the only bar where i have ever heard good music .
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
i would definitely fly a spaceship.
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
Andrea Belfi / Alice Coltrane / The Bug vs. Earth / Sublime Frequencies album ‘Streets of Lhasa’
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
Yamatzuka Eye solo in Vasteras, Sweden. The most shamanic performance i’ve ever seen in music
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
It’s a tool. Ideas are still more important.
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
No. But i have many soul brothers and sisters.