MONOPHONIE w/ Phillip Sollmann
MONOPHONIE is a happening composed by Phillip Sollmann, using selected Instruments by Harry Partch, selected Sonambient Sculptures by Harry Bertoia and the Double-Siren by Hermann von Helmholtz. Due to his output and particularly his constant and remarkable DJ presence, Phillip Sollmann (also known as Efdemin) is surely one of the most independent, versatile and inspiring characters in today’s scene. That’s as striking as it’s conflicting with his production work. Calm, cool and collected, Efdemin’s music is infused by elegant darkness, discreet beauty and the complete lack of jittery. With long players and 12-inches for Dial or Curle, his remixes, his Pigon project together with RNDM or his drone and ambient pieces under his original name Phillip Sollmann.
1: Harry Partch Instruments
2: Bertoia Sound Sculptures
3: Herrmann von Helmholtz Double-Siren
1.What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
Resonating bodies of all kinds are simply my main interest in this life.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
I was a huge fan of Kate Bush and dreamt of working with her one day when I was around 12 years old. She didn´t call yet. I am still a huge fan.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Yoshi Wada - Off the wall
Maryanne Amacher - Third Ear
Eliane Radigue - Σ = a = b = a + b <https://www.discogs.com/
Evan Parker - Time Lapse
Mark Hollis - The Colour of Spring
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Berlin is a social function in time
5. What's your favourite place in your town?
My Studio in Berlin
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
I would be a farmer
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
Will Guthrie - Time lapse
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
Will Guthrie or Evan Parker or…Kate Bush!
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
As a spectator: Re-staging of HArry Partchs "Delusion of the fury" in Bochum with Ensemble Musikfabrik, the guys I am working with in MONOPHONIE.
As an Actor: DJing at Berghain for 9,5 Hours on a Sunday night which turns into monday is quite an experience...
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
Extremely important - but more as a foundation that lets me moove freely.
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
I have a brother and he never shows up for any of my gigs. But this time he will come. My Mom forced him too.
Photo credit: Yasmina Haddad