Stefan Fraunberger is an Austrian composer and artist exploring themes of transformation and liminality in sound, focusing on systems of perception. Stefan engages in electro-acoustic dialogue with different instruments and concepts, interacting with conditions and languages beyond nature and culture. By investigating embodied understandings of the uncanny, his work touches on time, matter and transition.
1: The only constant is change.
2: The earth is flat.
3: Information is food.
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
The movement of limitations.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
Did my first experiments in my mother’s womb – unfortunately I forgot about them.
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Zia Mohiuddin Dagar, Dhrupad – Raga Yaman
Anton Bruckner, Symphonies 5 / 7 / 8 / 9 conducted by Sergiu Celebidache
Neyzen Tevfik, Hic’in Azab-i Mukaddes’i
A Hawk and a Hacksaw, you have already gone to the other side -Portishead, Third or Radiohead, Amnesiac…
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
A center of a modernity that never existed. Quite cosmopolitan post euro magnet gathering all the dispatched and unearthed potential of the world – seems to be a center of gravity with fluctuating masks and pasts.
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
The alley between the central bank and the prison leading to the library of invisibility.
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
Investigate into the humming of the bees.
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
A growing collection of temple conch Shells and animal Bells.
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
The Lord of the Flies.
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
Thousands of birds counterpointing with gargling motors, hundreds mu’azzins and other devotional noise at dawn somewhere in the Subcontinent.
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
We seem to know how the machine is functioning but we don’t know what it is for.
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
A brother – best dude!
Stefan Fraunberger performs at Morphine Modern / Morphine Contemporary at Berghain on 10th & 11th Ocotber 2019. Rabih Beaini’s label’s two-night showcase will take place on October 10th and 11th and will feature some of the most outstanding musicians of nowadays, and a whole range of acoustic, electro-acoustic, electronic, and experimental music.
Photo © Stefan Fraunberger