Born 1977 and based in Berlin, he is a cross-disciplinary artist. Musician, actor, author and radio play producer. Known with SFX and the Cologne band Von Spar. Thomas Mahmoud also played with Mouse on Mars, Khan of Finland, Michael Wertmüller, Omöohhhno pathuuontudonthose, The Nest and Tannhäuser Sterben & das Tod and recently collaborates with Phoebe Killdeer (Nouvelle Vague, The Short Straws) and Ole Wulfers (Kapaikos, Party Diktator) in Phoebe Killdeer & The Shift.
1: Man müsste schreien können.
1. What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
When I open the windows and let the sound of the city come into my house.
2. How and when did you get into making music?
When I was 8 – my father gave me a break dance tape, a green jeans suite, green gloves with white grip and integrity in my tennis shoes.I became the first break dancer of Merzig-City!
3. What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Maybe it could be Sun Ra: Space is the place! But: there is too much good music in this universe to answer this question seriously.
4. What do you associate with Berlin?
Grüne große Bäume in jeder Strasse and countless bottles in the street. I like it!
5. What’s your favourite place in your town?
6. If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
7. What was the last record/music you bought?
Raymond Dijkstra: Ce Phénomène Négatif D’Une Manière Satisfaissant. I bought the recording because it has the most beautiful artwork I saw in a while. Great Verpackung! Great music! Music for lovers and hot East Berlin cab drivers with their Vokuhilas! Sounds like: Die Stimme der Energie, Antenne, Radio, Uran, Geigerzähler, Radioland, Sendepause, Nachrichten, Schallplatten, Ätherwellen.
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
9. What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
My first show as Tommi Singer, the breakdancer of Merzig-City squad. The boys got shy and the girls got crazy. I was sixteen and I screamed. That was when I lost my voice.
10. How important is technology to your creative process?
If I can use it I love it!
11. Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?