Visionary singer and music maker Xenia Rubinos dips in and out of genre and structure to create movingly powerful songs with her o.g. signature sound. Xenia's powerhouse vocals are at the center of her music which grows from a wide range of influences from R&B to Hop-Hop to Jazz all delivered with a soulful Punk aura.
1. I'm in love !
2. We are tiny in the universe.
3. My socks are hardly ever a matching pair.
- What is the biggest inspiration for your music?
- How and when did you get into making music?
When I was little I liked making up songs, I played alone alot and that's just what I did.
- What are 5 of your favourite albums of all time?
Here's a temporary list:
Michael Jackson, Dangerous
Willie Colon, El Malo
Miles Davis, A Kind of Blue
David Bowie, Heroes
- What do you associate with Berlin?
Dancing in ways I don't understand but really want to, like moving with your arms alot and pumping up and down with your legs, synthesizers, electronics, industrial huge concrete spaces, me feeling like an alien.
- What's your favourite place in your town?
There's this dead end street in my neighborhood I really love walking down, makes me feel like I'm in a small town in the big city. There are these old houses one of them looks abandoned and maybe haunted, with a huge overgrown garden in front.
- If there was no music in the world, what would you do instead?
I would write.
- What was the last record/music you bought?
Kadhja Bonet, The Visitor
- Who would you most like to collaborate with?
My future self in 40 years.
- What was your best gig (as performer or spectator)?
Ugh so many- the most star struck I've ever been at a show was when I got to see Abbey Lincoln at this small jazz club in a hotel in Boston. I knew I was in the presence of a legend and felt so lucky to be in the same room let alone hear her sing, it was chilling, spooky, gorgeous, soulful, heartbreaking.
- How important is technology to your creative process?
- Do you have siblings and how do they feel about your career/art?
they only made 1.